Monday 9 July 2012

Have you ever been a blessing?



Do you remember how you felt when your parents would beat you for something you just couldn’t understand was wrong, and how annoying it felt when they would say “It’s for your own good”

At some point we may have thought? “What is my good? What is best for me? What makes you the judge? You are just being wicked.” 


When we were younger, many of us could swear that our parents enjoyed punishing us. Fast forward a few years and most of us are grateful that our parents didn’t let us get all we wanted, when we wanted and how we wanted. We are grateful for the discipline.


When I read James 1:9-10 it reminds me of those days.
Let the lowly brother glory in his exaltation, 10 but the rich in his humiliation, because as a flower of the field he will pass away.



I found this verse startling when I first read it. The question was why?  I can understand the poor man’s own what does the humiliation of the rich have to do with this? And once again I was asking some of the same questions we used to ask when we were young.


Have you ever asked yourself, what is the essence of suffering, why should I be happy when I am chastised, or when things are difficult?  found a part of the answer in James 1: 2-7

 My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.


I have asked myself: Why would I need chastisement when I am a child of God being led by his spirit?


The whole essence of our experiences in life is to make us acceptable in God’s kingdom and one of the major things that can deprive us of this is pride. Trusting in ourselves and our abilities rather than trusting in God. Of the 7 things the Lord hates mentioned in Proverbs 6:16-19 ‘A proud look’ is number 1.
And God out of his love for us has made it his responsibility to chastise his children and make us who we need to be. So James said:
James 1:12Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love Him. 13 Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am tempted by God”; for God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does He Himself tempt anyone. 14 But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed. 15 Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, brings forth death.
Being corrected by God is a privilege, because if he allows us go with our natural tendencies then sin will have its way and lead us to death. Spiritual death.

Are you at risk of being proud? Think about this?

Have you ever been a blessing? Have you ever done anything right? Have you ever recorded unprecedented success? Have you ever had nothing to worry about? Has God done great works through you? Has someone ever told you “I don’t know where I would have been if not for you.”?  


Then thank God for the days things didn’t go right. Thank God for the time you got stuck in traffic, you hit your foot against a stone. Thank him for the day you forgot your phone at home or you made a silly mistake in something you believed you could do even with your eyes closed because you are soooo good at it.
Compliments and success are good, achievements are great. But the things that make you remember that you are human and you are nothing without God are even better. What point is there to gain the whole world, get all the riches, the comforts, the accolades and something as little as self-righteousness makes you loose your crown.


Though the devil brings thing to attack and destroy us, God turns them around and uses them to preserve us because our human nature will lead us to pride if everything was at our fingertips. No matter how good you are at one thing you have a weakness somewhere else. That weakness is something that doesn’t allow you get all you would like to get on your own. Be grateful for those weaknesses, they protect you from pride. Even as a human race we have some weaknesses, like our inability to control time and space. The more we can do for ourselves the easier it is for us to give into pride.

The great thing is that a weakness doesn’t actually stop us from achieving anything. It just serves as a reminder to lean on God and when we lean on him we achieve greater heights than we could ever have imagined. 


Weaknesses can sometimes cause humiliation, suffering or pain; they are not fun or easy most times. 


Yet Paul said in Romans 8:18 1For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.
Paul suffered the same way 2 Corinthians 12: 5 Of such a one I will boast; yet of myself I will not boast, except in my infirmities. For though I might desire to boast, I will not be a fool; for I will speak the truth. But I refrain, lest anyone should think of me above what he sees me to be or hears from me.
And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure.Concerning this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me. And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.


Please don't skim over that scripture, read every word.

Weaknesses do not stop us from achieving great things; they are guarding us from the destruction that comes from pride. Look at the story of King Nebuchadnezzar, would it have been better for him if God didn’t bring him to his lowest self ? He could have continued in pride and gotten his punishment in hell. Instead he got a chance to repent because of the suffering. God chastised him out of love.


When we exalt ourselves, it may feel good, but it is actually the devil at work trying to make us enemies of God. The devil fell from being the most glorified angel because he had it all good, he had it all wonderful, he forgot who made him wonderful and thought it was his doing. It got so much to his head that he decided he wanted to become God. When God sees such tendencies in his children he immediately prunes them off so that we do not self-destructSee King Nebuchadnezzer transformation



Daniel Chapter 4:29
Twelve months later, as the king was walking on the roof of the royal palace of Babylon, 30 he said, “Is not this the great Babylon I have built as the royal residence, by my mighty power and for the glory of my majesty?”
31 Even as the words were on his lips, a voice came from heaven, “This is what is decreed for you, King Nebuchadnezzar: Your royal authority has been taken from you. 32 You will be driven away from people and will live with the wild animals; you will eat grass like the ox. Seven times will pass by for you until you acknowledge that the Most High is sovereign over all kingdoms on earth and gives them to anyone he wishes.”


After 7 years in 34 see the new King
34 At the end of that time, I, Nebuchadnezzar, raised my eyes toward heaven, and my sanity was restored. Then I praised the Most High; I honored and glorified him who lives forever.
His dominion is an eternal dominion;
 his kingdom endures from generation to generation. 
35 All the peoples of the earth
    are regarded as nothing. 
He does as he pleases 
    with the powers of heaven
    and the peoples of the earth.
No one can hold back his hand 
    or say to him: “What have you done?”

If you are surrounded by good times, Praise the Lord. If you are in the middle of a battle, Praise the Lord. Appreciate anything that makes you remember to lean on God because in your weakness he is strong. When you lean on him in your weakness you do not loose. Instead you achieve the greatest results because you allow him take over completely i.e. in the end, you will still come out like Gold. You will be Victorious, but you will know for a certainty that “ you made it because God was on your side. It will occur to you that even your strengths are not your doing. They are gifts from God.

God is not intimidated by our success, he is not angry with it. He is the one that gives us good success. James 1: 16 Do not be deceived, my beloved brethren. 17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning.

He wants us to succeed in this life but he is also making sure that our success is not wasted because we end up rebelling against him. Nebuchadnezzar’s story ends beautifully 
36 At the same time that my sanity was restored, my honor and splendor were returned to me for the glory of my kingdom. My advisers and nobles sought me out, and I was restored to my throne and became even greater than before. 37 Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise and exalt and glorify the King of heaven, because everything he does is right and all his ways are just. And those who walk in pride he is able to humble.


Can you see the difference? God didn’t leave him in a pit, God wasn’t victimizing him. God was NOT  upset that he achieved great things, it was God who helped him achieve those great things. Nebuchadnezzar still has the glory of his kingdom but now he KNOWS that the glory was given to him and he remains humble and thankful to God. Preserving him to be able to receive his crown at the end of this life.


Guard your heart with all diligence. Be encouraged.

God Bless






PRAYER FOR TODAY
Daniel 1:20 “Praise be to the name of God for ever and ever; 
    wisdom and power are his.
21 He changes times and seasons; 

    he deposes kings and raises up others. 
He gives wisdom to the wise
    and knowledge to the discerning. 
22 He reveals deep and hidden things; 

    he knows what lies in darkness, 
    and light dwells with him.
Holy spirit, I thank you. I cannot live without you. Lead me in prayer, lead me through my life, help me through the good and the bad time and show me that God is God in all circumstances. May this word I read today not make me stand by and watch the devil tear me apart. Instead let it encourage me to Stand on your word and receive my victory knowing that the process of leaning on you in my weakness and in the things I cannot do for myself will give me access to your strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment